Tuesday 27 August 2013

A cake baking disaster

Baking. It's such a fun and relaxing experience, don't you think? I love it. It gives me something to do from time to time and also gives me more culinary skills (which are very limited). So as it's my mum's birthday, it was only fit that over the weekend I'd make her a cake. What I didn't expect was help. From my dear old Dad.
Normally, when me and my Dad are cooking together, things don't always go according to plan. There are usually arguments, not to mention things going wrong and the ending result will be someone going off in a strop, that person would usually be me. And this time round was no different.

The morning began well, with both of us having had breakfast, it was then time to start baking. Whilst I was getting the utensils out, Dad got the ingredients that would be needed. Mum had wanted a chocolate sponge cake with buttercream, and her wish was our command.

As I was measuring out quantities, I asked dad to read the instructions. It wasn't until we'd put all the ingredients in all in one go, that I read the instructions. We'd made a HUGE mistake. Instead of shoving the whole lot into a mixing bowl, we had to add each ingredient gradually. To say I was annoyed was an understatement, I was fuming. This was meant to be my Mum's birthday cake, and somebody (meaning my Dad) had completely ballsed up. The mixture was supposed to be smooth and liquidy, instead it was doughy. This cake was going to be a disaster.

The mixture was divided and put into the oven. There was nothing we could do, other than hope and pray that the cake turn out ok. As it was cooking the "blame game" started. I was adamant that I was NOT going to be blamed for not reading the instructions properly. But I'll admit that I should of read them before my Dad.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. The cake took far to long to cook, but turned out to of baked well. Then I went along and ruined it further by attempting to decorate it. All in all it was a complete disaster. It wasn't relaxing at all, more like stressful, but it was a lesson to be learnt.

So as I come to a close on this entry, a few words of advice to all women; Always read the instructions yourself and NEVER EVER let a man interfere when it comes to baking.

Until next time

Claire. x

No comments:

Post a Comment